Applying to Graduate School
Welcome to the MIT Chemical Engineering Graduate Admissions page. This page explains the application process in general. To apply, go to the on-line application. You will be asked to create a user ID and password. Please write down your user ID and password for future use. You do not need to complete the entire application in one sitting. You may begin the application, save it, and return to it at a later time using your user id and password.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible and are responsible for ensuring that all admissions credentials are submitted on time. Your application will not be reviewed until all materials have been received. There is no separate application for financial support; all admitted students are offered support. To apply follow these steps.
1. Fill out the on-line application by 23:59, EST, December 1.
You will be providing the following information:
- Field(s) of interest
- Personal information/addresses
- International student data
- Three or more names and e-mail addresses of letter writers
We recommend that before November 1 you notify your letter writers that you will be requesting evaluations from them. This will give them time to prepare and submit their letters by December 1. Once you have submitted your on-line application, instructions to your letter writers will be generated for you. You are responsible for making sure that your letter writers have copies of these instructions.
- Scanned copies of your College Transcripts
- Scanned copies of your GRE Scores
- For international students, scanned copies of your TOEFL or IELTS scores
- Educational and work history
- Statement of objectives/purpose (see helpful guidelines)
- Outside financial support and potential outside support
- Credit/debit card payment of $75
2. Arrange for submission of (official reports only)
- GRE general scores
MIT’s school code for the GRE is 3514. The code for the Department of Chemical Engineering at MIT is 1001.
- For international students, TOEFL or IELTS
For reporting the TOEFL scores, the MIT institution code is 3514, and the department code is 64. To register for a test, visit http://www.ets.org/toefl.
IELTS scores should also be sent directly to MIT.
To register for a test, visit http://www.ielts.org.
If your first language is not English, you are required to take the IELTS or TOEFL test by November 15. The TOEFL/IELTS is waived for applicants who are citizens of Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Singapore, or the United Kingdom, or for applicants who have or will earn a BS degree at a US university.
3. If Admitted, submit Official College Transcripts
Mail official transcripts to:
Department of Chemical Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, 66-366
Cambridge, MA 02139
Many questions are answered in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section. Before you contact Graduate Admissions, please take the time to review our FAQ page.