A two day symposium to honor the work and legacy of Institute Professor Daniel I.C. Wang
November 4-5, 2021
In person at MIT Media Lab (75 Amherst Street, 6th Floor) or via livestream
We would love for you to share your memories and photos of Danny. Please email anything you’d like to share to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(All times are US Eastern daylight Time)
Thursday, November 4, 2021
2pm – 5pm: Memories of Danny from alumni and colleagues
Reflections that established an enduring legacy – Danny Wang as a scholar, mentor, and friend.
- John Aunins, PhD ’89; Senior Advisor, Seres Therapeutics
- Brian Baynes, PhD ’05; CEO, Verdox, Inc.
- Matt Croughan, PhD ’88; Industry consultant & CEO, Claymore Bio LLC
- Jonathan Goldstein ’84, SM ’86; Managing Director, TA Associates
- Sherry Gu, PhD ’97; SVP, CMC Management, WuXi Biologics
- Wei-Shou Hu, PhD ’84; Professor of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science, U of Minnesota
- Beth Junker, PhD ’89; Principal Consultant & Owner, BioProcess Advantage LLC
- Brian Kelley, PhD ’92; SVP, Process Development, Vir Biotechnology
- Araba Lamousé-Smith, PhD ’00: VP, Supply Chain & CMC Management, MacroGenics, Inc.
- Rahul Singhvi, ScD ’94; Co-Founder & CEO, National Resilience, Inc.
- Michael Thien, ScD ’88; SVP, Science, Technology, & Commercialization, Merck
- Liangzhi Xie, ScD ’97; President & CEO, Sino Biological
Friday, November 5, 2021
8:30am – 12pm: Reflections from the Frontlines of the Field
On Friday morning, we will discuss the impact of Danny’s groundbreaking work through conversations with leaders in the field.
- Noubar Afeyan PhD ’87; Founder & President, Flagship Pioneering
- Charles Cooney PhD ’70; Professor Emeritus, MIT Chemical Engineering
- Kristala Prather ’94; Arthur D. Little Professor & Executive Officer, MIT Chemical Engineering
- Phillip Sharp; Institute Professor of Biology, MIT, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research
12 – 1pm: Lunch
1pm – 2pm: 2021 DIC Wang Lecture on the Frontiers of Biotechnology
Melissa Moore PhD ‘89; Chief Scientific Officer, Platform Research, Moderna
2:30 – 5:30pm: Futures and Frontiers
A focus on the future of the biochemical engineering, biotechnology and its impact on society, inviting us to consider what Danny would be most excited about on the horizon.
- Luis Alvarez SM ’99, PhD ’09; Founder, Theradaptive
- Tassos Gianakakos ’94; CEO, MyoKardia
- Pearl Huang ’80, PhD; President & CEO, Cygnal Therapeutics
- Konstantin Konstantinov, PhD; CTO, Codiak BioSciences
- Bernat Olle SM ’05, MBA ’07, PhD ’07; CEO & Co-Founder, Vedanta Biosciences
A block of rooms at the MIT rate of $209 per night has been set aside at the Boston Marriott Cambridge under “Wang Symposium.”
Start Date: Wednesday, November 3
End Date: Saturday, November 6
Please make your reservation by Wednesday, October 20.
Please note: MIT is currently allowing in-person events, but is monitoring the ongoing pandemic. All in-person guests will receive communications from the MIT “TIM Tickets” system prompting them to attest their vaccine status. All participants must wear masks for indoor programming. Seating for all programs will be limited to allow for social distancing. If you are unable to attend the campus programs, we will be offering a livestream of events.